Friday, April 4, 2014

D is for Dreams and the Answer to Yesterday’s Cosmology Trivia Question

The latest and greatest theories on dreaming. Which could change tomorrow. Snarky remarks my own ...
 
* You forget roughly nine out of ten of your dreams. Bummer. These are probably the ones that could make you a million dollars.

* Everybody dreams. Including blind people. So do animals. Not sure about aliens though.
 
* If you’re snoring, you’re not dreaming. Get a CPAP.
 
* The Bible is loaded with dreams and symbolism. So are fictional books such as Harry Potter.
 
* Dreams can be precognitive, or what we refer to as Déjà Vu. The body is essentially paralyzed during REM sleep when dreaming so the dreamer will not physically act out the dream. Whew! Good to know.
 
* We dream of people we know. If you dream of a stranger, then that stranger is someone you have forgotten or represents someone else you do know.
 

Dali was so far ahead of his time (no pun intended)
* You can have as many as six or seven dreams a night, or around 2,000 dreams a year.
 
* Salvador Dali would wake himself up the moment he fell asleep to capture and paint surreal dream images.
 
* External Stimuli Invade our Dreams. So before bed cut down on the pizza and alcohol and what not. Or increase them, if you like wild and crazy dreams. Whoop whoop whoop nyuk nyuk nyuk. Bad Curly imitation.
 
* Dreams prevent psychosis. Now they tell me. More pizza, please.
 
* You can control your dreams and make nightmares a pleasant experience using an REM Device.
 
* There is technology in progress that may soon allow us to record and watch our dreams and even upload them to YouTube. Now this I’m scared of. Really.
 
I leave You With This: Dreams are heavily symbolic. It’s so worth your time to make time and Google Dream Symbolism in your spare time. A crocodile with a big snapping mouth whipping its tail (tale) back and forth could refer to gossip. Mouth. Tale. Get it? A horse could mean power and authority. The color blue could mean royal and heavenly colors.
 
Dream Trivia Question: It’s difficult to think of a dream trivia question as we know so little about why we dream. So let’s go with what is one of your best, worst, or craziest dreams.
 
No, this is not what zero gravity would look like.
Cosmology Trivia Question From Yesterday: Our Earth travels around the sun at a speed of about 18.5 miles a second and is held in orbit by our sun’s gravitational effect on it. If the sun ceased to exist at this very moment, along with its gravitational grip on our planet, how long would it take Earth to zing straight off into space?

This is, only much more terrible. Thank you gravity!!!
Answer: According to Einstein’s Theory of Relativity, nothing can move faster than the speed of light. And this includes gravity and the effect of our Sun’s gravitational pull on Earth. Since light takes eight minutes and twenty seconds to reach the Earth, you would have eight minutes and twenty seconds to make peace with your Maker and say goodbye to your loved ones before being flung off into space at incredible speeds.

28 comments:

  1. It's amazing to think how many of our dreams we forget over the years. I have a few recurring dreams though. As a kid, I used to dream that I was putting together a puzzle. I knew that once I finished the puzzle, the house would explode, but even knowing that, I couldn't stop myself from putting it together. I also have a lot of dreams about a T-Rex chasing me. I've been having those since I first saw Jurassic Park.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post - interesting stuff. The dream I remember most vividly is being on the beach and seeing a shark come out of the sea with a napkin round his neck and a knife and a fork in his flippers, ready to eat me!

    Teaching English with Mr. Duncan
    A-Z of hotels

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually don't remember my dreams unless I wake up during them. Interesting stuff here, Stephen! No, I wouldn't want to upload my dreams. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eight minutes is enough time. Unless I have to drive home first.
    Zero gravity doesn't look like that? Bummer.
    If you're paralyzed while dreaming, what is sleep walking?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rarely remember my dreams. When I do, I always love it!

    Precious Monsters

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dream a lot and I remember all the dreams the next morning. Some dreams are amazing some not so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really interesting stuff. I love analyzing my dreams, figuring out what my brain was trying to tell me. I can't decide if being able to record your dreams would be scary or awesome. I don't think I would want to share them with other people, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a few dreams last night but do not remember them. I've found taking Melatonin actually helps me dream more. At least I remember them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In college, I took a psychology class where we had to record our dreams and analyze them. It was fascinating to learn so much about dreams, and to this day, I still analyze many of my dreams, though I don't write them in a journal anymore.

    MJ, A to Z Challenge Co-Host
    Writing Tips
    Effectively Human
    Lots of Crochet Stitches


    ReplyDelete
  10. What a timely post. I dreamed that a man sneaked onto our property and killed my dog with a shovel. Possibly I am way beyond a psychoanalyst help. And yes, I'm still trying to figure out WTH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting A to Z!!!

      Delete
    2. Huntress, I would definitely Google that one. It could be the pizza. Or your subconscious trying to warn you of something.

      Delete
  11. You're right! The dreams I forget are definitely the ones that would make a millionaire! lol These are really awesome theories! Even if they change tomorrow, I'm going about my day smiling thinking I know lots of real facts about dreams :P

    Yesterday's trivia answer-Wow! Just wow! Eight minutes and twenty seconds, its fascinating and scary at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dreams are important... unless they turn to a nightmare. Thank you for the Kate!

    I am out for the moment, thought I would say hello to the awesome A to Z team.
    Jeremy [Retro]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeremy for stopping by and saying hello! Hope you are on the mend and will be up and running soon.

      Delete
  13. Hi Stephen .. the thought of having dreams on YouTube or similar - is terrifying ... think of a FB and YouTube situation when you're employing a young 20ish ... and see all their dreams as well as all the other mad things we get up to as teenagers ...

    Gosh I've got 8 minutes 20 seconds to think .. before I get zinged off this life ...

    Fun post .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary, I agree. That's way too much personal information to be sharing with the world.

      Delete
  14. Eight minutes to make my peace! I have lots of dreams of flying whatever that means. Though I usually don't remember them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have great dreams with wonderful adventures. When I wake up they slip away from me very fast. As for the 8 minutes, you wouldn't know it had happened anyway until the 8 mins and 20 seconds were up. Then it would go dark and you would be flung into space with NO warning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, great point. The last remaining rays would also take eight minutes and twenty seconds to reach us. So it would not be dark during these last minutes. Unless it's at night.

      Delete
  16. Love it when I can capture the dream on paper. I try to write it down before I open my eyes. That takes some practice I can tell you!

    If snapping alligators might mean gossip, what do alligators overhead mean? That was one of my dreams that kept coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Interesting dreams people are posting. I used to fly a lot in my dreams. I had no control and would be scared to death. I think these dreams happened during tumultuous times when I was faced with situations I felt were out of my ability to handle.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would love to be able to record and watch my dreams, just because I wish I could remember more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wish I could remember my dreams, they disappear so quickly :(
    Suzanne @ Suzannes Tribe
    x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like the Jungian approach to interpreting dreams. There's more meaning and depth, but it also requires more work. It taught me not to be frightened by nightmares. All dreams are messages being sent from the unconscious to the conscious.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have deja vu a lot, sometimes it's so weird! I surely wouldn't want to put my dreams on Youtube! I had a weird dream one time where a huge Viking ship complete with Vikings was in the pool at my High school. No one could figure out what to do with them, or how they got there.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another great A-Z entry...I'll be dropping in from time to time.

    D.B. McNicol
    A to Z: Romance & Mystery...writing my life

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've written down my dreams for years and started to understand that most of the time my dreams are my subconscious working out what might have happened to me during the day. Some dreams feel different from others. Some are more memorable than others, but I have always known that dreams are important to me...

    ReplyDelete